Spiced Apple Tarte Tatin
Is there anything more comforting than a warm apple pie? I think everyone has at least one family recipe for apple pie that is brought out at special occasions and celebrations.
If you are like a good friend of mine, Jamie, your recipe may be over a hundred years old!
Although I do not have Jamie's recipe, I was inspired to recreate it using our own blend specifically made for Apple Pie recipes. This recipe is a French take on the popular Apple Pie and uses filo pastry for an easy pie base. The beauty of this recipe is that the pastry goes on top to crisp up then you flip it out to reveal the apple goodness within!
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 120g sugar
- 5g Apple Pie Spice Blend
- 40g cold butter
- 5 sheets of filo pastry
- 40g melted better
- Peel, core and quarter the apples. Pour the lemon juice over the apples and toss to coat
- In a pan, add 100g of sugar and cook on a low heat while stirring continuously. Add the Apple Pie Spice Blend and cold butter and stir until caramel is ready
- Add the apples to the caramel, stir to coat and cook for 2 minutes
- In an oven-safe dish, arrange the apples and pour the remaining sauce over the apples
- Layer the filo pastry sheets with melted butter and a sprinkling of sugar between the sheets
- Place the sheets over the apples and tuck the edges around the apple filling. Make some slits in the top of the pastry
- Bake at 180 degrees for 25 minutes* or until the pastry is golden
Spice Quarter is an Australian online spice shop. We supply freshly blended, dry spice mixes with matching recipes. We have a range of spices, spice box sets and gift boxes. Our spice blends combine the best and freshest herbs and spices into unique flavours. We craft simple yet delicious recipes that are easily prepared at home.
Check out all our recipes on our blog.
If you haven't already, check out our monthly subscription option. For only $19.95 per month you get all our spice blends and recipes delivered straight to your door.
Share pictures of your Spice Quarter Spice Blend creations with us! Tag @spicequarter on Instagram or use #myspicequarter and you could be featured on our profile.
Do you want to be featured in our Monthly Newsletter? Send us an email at email@example.com with pictures of your creations and you could be in our next newsletter!