Spice Quarter is an Australian online spice shop. We supply freshly blended, dry spice mixes with matching recipes. We have a range of spices, spice box sets and gift boxes. Our spice blends combine the best and freshest herbs and spices into unique flavours. We craft simple yet delicious recipes that are easily prepared at home.
Check out all our recipes on our blog.
Pickling has a long history, according to New York food museum.
Pickling has been used as a method of preservation around the world since 2400 B.C. Several centuries later the humble cucumber, native to India was being pickled in the Tigris Valley.
Today you can find pickled foods practically anywhere. Some examples are the salted duck eggs in China, tangy Kinchi in Korea or spicy chutneys from India.
At the core of it pickling works by using a liquid, usually brine or vinegar to preserve foods.
At Spice Quarter we value this rich cultural history behind pickling. We have adapted various pickling methods and ingredients into one easy to use Pickling Spice Blend.
Spice Quarter's Pickling blend is a perfect mix of spices to make your own batch of juicy & tangy veggies.
But hold on, there is more! We have chosen to eat our pickled viegtables with soft, fluffy and steamy baos. Now that's fusion food at its finest! And it is easily prepared at home.
This recipe is a great one to get the kids involved in. They will love kneading and shaping the baos and watching them magically steam up into perfect pillows!
- To make the Bao dough, mix the flour, salt, sugar, yeast and baking powder in a bowl & gradually add warm water and milk
- Stir until just combined and sticky. Roll the dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth. Add more flour if needed.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and allow to rise for 2 hours
- Section the dough into 6 portions, roll into ovals and fold over a spatula handle to shape.
- Let the baos rise for another 10 minutes then steam for 20 minutes
- To make the picked vegetables add the Picking Spice Blend to vinegar, sugar and cold water
- Add the shredded carrots and cucumber, cover and chill for 2 hours in a bowl or in clean mason jars
- Fill the bao with shredded meat or tofu and the picked vegetables and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
Make sure you seal your spices in their handy zip packs and store in an dry place until you need it again.
If you haven't already, check out our monthly subscription option. For only $19.95 per month you get all our spice blends and recipes delivered straight to your door.
Share pictures of your Spice Quarter Spice Blend creations with us! Tag @spicequarter on Instagram or use #myspicequarter and you may be featured on our profile
Do you want to be a part of our Monthly Newsletter? Send us an email at email@example.com with pictures of your creations and we may feature you and your creations!
Here's to great cooking!