Old Bay is an American spice blend that goes amazingly well with seafood. The origins of old bay seasoning are in Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, Virginia. The inventor of this blend was Gustav Brunn a German who arrived in the United States in 1938.
It has a tangy and smoky flavour that enhances any form of seafood. It is most commonly used with crams, clams and other shellfish
A hot tip from us to you is to try it sprinkled on popcorn!
Vegetarians, you can used soft vegetables like mushrooms or peas instead of fish
- 150g white fish like basa
- 5g Old Bay Spice Blend
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander, chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, thawed
- Cut the fish into even pieces and mix with 1 tbs olive oil and half the Old Bay Spice Blend. Season with salt and pepper
- In a pan heat 1 tbs of olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining Old Bay Spice Blend and mix well
- Add the fish and cook on a low heat for a further 5 minutes
- Add the coriander and squeeze the lemon over the fish
- Cook for 10-15 mins* or until the fish is cooked through. Set aside to cool
- Use a cookie cutter to cut circles in the puff pastry sheets. Place a small amount of filling in each circle of puff pastry and fold over. Pinch the edges closed using a fork.
- Bake in the oven at 180C (350F) for 15 minutes* or until golden
Make sure you seal your spices tight and store in a dry place until you need it again.
Spice Quarter is an Australian online spice shop. We supply freshly blended, dry spice mixes with matching recipes. We have a range of spices, spice box sets and gift boxes. Our spice blends combine the best and freshest herbs and spices into unique flavours. We craft simple yet delicious recipes that are easily prepared at home.
Check out all our recipes on our blog.
If you haven't already, check out our monthly subscription option. For only $19.95 per month you get all our spice blends and recipes delivered straight to your door.
Share pictures of your Spice Quarter Spice Blend creations with us! Tag @spicequarter on Instagram or use #myspicequarter and you could be featured on our profile.
Do you want to be featured in our Monthly Newsletter? Send us an email at email@example.com with pictures of your creations and you could be in our next newsletter!