Berbere is a spice mix native to the eastern horn of Africa. It is commonly found in countries like Eritrea, Djibouti, Ethiopia and Somalia.
In taste it is a mixture of spicy and bitter flavours and it goes well with meat of any kind. The composition of this blend makes it ideal as a crust or as a flavour for soups and stews.
You can even add a hint to homemade hummus or a yoghurt dip for an interesting flavour!
The Spice Quarter recipe for Berbere combines a few different techniques that are commonly found in the cuisine from this region of Africa.
Searing the meat adds a lovely, crispy crust to it and cooking it in stock with vegetables keeps the meat tender and allows the flavours to assimilate
Vegetarians can simply skip the meat or try a new twist by using firm tofu as a substitute
We hope you enjoy this recipe. As always, let us know what you think in the comments
- 2 chicken breast pieces
- 5g Berebere Spice Blend per chicken breast
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 100g green beans
- 1 cup stock
- mint leaves
- lime wedge
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and coat with the Berebere Spice Blend ensuring that the meat is fully covered
- In a hot pan on medium heat add olive oil and sear the meat on both sides for 2 minutes
- Next, add the onion, garlic and carrots and cook for 5 minutes
- Turn the chicken over and add the green beans and stock
- Cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve with coucous and a lime wedge
Make sure you seal your spices tight and store in a dry place until you need it again.
Spice Quarter is an Australian online spice shop. We supply freshly blended, dry spice mixes with matching recipes. We have a range of spices, spice box sets and gift boxes. Our spice blends combine the best and freshest herbs and spices into unique flavours. We craft simple yet delicious recipes that are easily prepared at home.
Check out all our recipes on our blog.
If you haven't already, check out our monthly subscription option. For only $19.95 per month you get all our spice blends and recipes delivered straight to your door.
Share pictures of your Spice Quarter Spice Blend creations with us! Tag @spicequarter on Instagram or use #myspicequarter and you could be featured on our profile.
Do you want to be featured in our Monthly Newsletter? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with pictures of your creations and you could be in our next newsletter!