A chef once said to me that too many people ruin good meat by simply trying too hard! They try fancy techniques and numerous ingredients while attempting to create the perfect steak or a prize-winning barbeque. The reality is that the less you mess with the meat, the better it tastes.
This is particularly true of red meat. A superior cut of meat really needs very little done to it to enhance its flavour to the maximum. Yet, many a barbeque has been ruined with tough, dry meat that even the fanciest of gadgets cannot save.
In reality, there are only a few key tips to bear in mind while cooking meat.
1. Allow the meat to reach room temperature before cooking
2. Pat dry before cooking
3. Season generously
4. Preheat the grill, oven or barbeque fully before you begin cooking.
5. Rest the meat before serving
Bearing this in mind we decided to take a simple route with our herby Garlic Steak Spice Blend. As the name of the blend suggests, this mix is meant to be used with steak but you can also use it in many other ways. Try in on sliced potatoes to make a crunchy snack or perhaps add it to a marinade for lamb.
We suggest you use this recipe to perfect your meat cooking skills, like we did!
Let us know what you think in the comments.
- 10g Garlic Steak Spice Blend
- 2 steak fillets (we used scotch fillets)
- steamed or roasted vegetables to serve
- Rub the Garlic Steak Spice Blend on the steak fillets making sure it is well covered on all sides
- In a hot pan or barbeque, melt some butter
- Place the steak in the hot pan and cook for between 1 to 2 minutes* to suit your preference
- Flip the steak and cook the other side for 1 minute
- Allow it to rest for 5 minutes
- Slice and serve with steamed or roasted vegetables
Make sure you seal your spices tight and store in a dry place until you need it again.
Spice Quarter is an Australian online spice shop. We supply freshly blended, dry spice mixes with matching recipes. We have a range of spices, spice box sets and gift boxes. Our spice blends combine the best and freshest herbs and spices into unique flavours. We craft simple yet delicious recipes that are easily prepared at home.
Check out all our recipes on our blog.
If you haven't already, check out our monthly subscription option. For only $19.95 per month you get all our spice blends and recipes delivered straight to your door.
Share pictures of your Spice Quarter Spice Blend creations with us! Tag @spicequarter on Instagram or use #myspicequarter and you could be featured on our profile.
Do you want to be featured in our Monthly Newsletter? Send us an email at email@example.com with pictures of your creations and you could be in our next newsletter!