Adobo, "is a result of eclectic influences, both regional & historical that come together in the Filipino dishes. Philippine cooking showcases history more than just being a national cuisine”, as stated in the Asian Journal Blog.
Long before the Spaniards settled in the Philippine island, the locals cooked the food minimally by roasting, steaming or boiling. In order to keep the food fresh for longer most of the food was cooked in an immersion of vinegar & salt. Thus cooking meat in vinegar was considered one of the basic process in making Adobo.
The Chinese traders were believed to introduce Soy Sauce which slowly got introduced in cooking meat along with the use of vinegar thereby replacing the salt. Colonization of Philippines brought in a big evolution to the Filipino cuisine and Adobo was one of the Spanish inspired recipes.
We at Spice Quarter, would like to share such rich gastronomy culture in your kitchen with our very own Adobo spice blend. A blend with a comprehensive mix of spices like paprika, cumin complemented with a balanced mixture of black pepper & Himalayan salt it makes a perfect spice blend for an easy and simple recipe as shared below
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 5g Adobo Spice Blend
- 2 cups water
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- spring onions, chopped
- steamed rice
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, Adobo Spice Blend, water and onions to a bowl.
- Score the chicken drumsticks and add to the marinade along with the sugar. Mix well, cover and marinate for 30 mins
- Add the mixture to a saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover with the lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes* or until chicken is cooked
- Using tongs, remove chicken and transfer to a large bowl.
- Simmer the sauce for a further 10 minutes or until reduced by half and thickened slightly
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with chopped spring onions. Serve with steamed rice
Vegetarians can substitute chicken with hard root vegetables like potatoes and carrots for a healthy and filing stew.
Make sure you seal your spices tight and store in a dry place until you need it again.
Spice Quarter is an Australian online spice shop. We supply freshly blended, dry spice mixes with matching recipes. We have a range of spices, spice box sets and gift boxes. Our spice blends combine the best and freshest herbs and spices into unique flavours. We craft simple yet delicious recipes that are easily prepared at home.
Check out all our recipes on our blog.
If you haven't already, check out our monthly subscription option. For only $19.95 per month you get all our spice blends and recipes delivered straight to your door.
Share pictures of your Spice Quarter Spice Blend creations with us! Tag @spicequarter on Instagram or use #myspicequarter and you could be featured on our profile.
Do you want to be featured in our Monthly Newsletter? Send us an email at email@example.com with pictures of your creations and you could be in our next newsletter!
Here's to great cooking!